Monday, January 7, 2008

KLOL AND GENESIS

KLOL DJs got paid to emcee and introduce many KLOL sponsored rock acts when they came to Houston. Here I was, having fun, meeting rock stars, and getting paid for it. Is this a great country or what?

I remember emceeing Genesis, when Phil Collins was the drummer and Peter Gabriel was the front man. This was the tour that promoted "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."

Genesis was one of the first groups to use stage props in their performances. This was an innovation. When I was on the stage, before the curtains opened, I met the group. Peter Gabriel was wearing a black motorcycle jacket for the act. As I turned around to walk away to the microphone, I walked into a black motorcycle jacket wearing person. I almost knocked him down until I grabbed his arm and said, "excuse me."
I was embarassed as the band laughed. I had walked into a mannequin onstage wearing the same kind of motorcycle jacket as Peter Gabriel. I was really embarassed when I said, "excuse me" to a stage prop.

After getting the concert started, I went to see the group's manager to get paid for my appearance. He was in the concert hall's office. The show was a sell out, but I guess that a lot of tickets were sold at the door because when I went into the room where he was, there was a pile of crumpled bills on the desk where he was counting and sorting them. The pile of crumpled cash was at least a foot high and three feet wide. I knew I was in the wrong business when I saw that.

No comments: